Saturday, October 06, 2007

Hall Bath Facelift

Christie here.

Well, since the porch seems like it's going to take the rest of our lives, I decided to get in a side project while waiting for Donnie to finish his outside repairs.
Here's where that project started:
Take one dark bathroom that was originally a closet and add wallpaper that isn't pattern matched and flooring that is badly laid over an existing floor and you have one nice nerve-jarring experience for a brown recluse-fearing perfectionist.
I couldn't stand it anymore, especially when I could see there was wallpaper just calling me to give it a pull and I obliged.
Of course what was under the paper was a problem which I already knew, but ya gotta start somewhere.
I started by getting the adhesive and the broken chnks of mirror off the wall behind the toilet with a heat gun. It did pretty good and I was done with that in no time.
Please note that adhesive is flammable. Be careful if you use the heat gun on it. Also, there's no telling what kind of toxins were released when the heat was applied.
The next step was to primer the beadboard. I used Zinsser shellac-based primer. More brain-toasting toxic fumes were inhaled in this enclosed space no doubt.
Next on the list was to line the beadboard wall with liner paper. There was only one wall in the room that was beadboard and not in nice enough condition to paint. Behind that wall is a mountain of blown-in insulation. The wall could have been replaced, but the problems outweighed the benefits, so it seemed ridiculous to consider replacing it.
Liner paper hangs horizontally across the grooves in the beadboard. I used the heavy fiberous type that comes prepasted
Once the liner paper is dry, I primed the paper and the other two walls.
Shellac-based primer dries quickly. Once it was dry, I started working on floating the plaster walls and ceiling.
When the floating was completed, sanded, refloated, etc. I put another coat of primer on it before painting the whole room in a color of the background shade of the wallpaper I would be using. This is not necessary, but helps mask any paper shrinkage at the seams.
After painting the trim, then came the installation of the wallpaper.
Thought I'd try something different with fabrics. Actually, I had something else in mind, but the sheer will do for now and helps make the weird angle of the stairs above the toilet go away.
Well, that was better, but the floor under the floor wasn't is finishing shape, so to keep out the spiders, drafts, and dirt catchers, I culked the cracks between the boards, primed, and painted it in 2 coats of oil base.
It'll do for now. I doubt that this is the finished product, but I can finally stand to go in there.
. . . .Now if the toilet only flushed on the first try!
I suspect that's on one of our lists for tomorrow.
More to come later when I get a break from the porch again.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Donnie..love your home and blog..tell Christie hello!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don and Christie, I am so glad to have found your blog!
    I love love love historical homes and have a strong desire to renovate another one!
    Hubby and I renovated an 1856 victorian farmhouse, that was our last home..this one is an 1800 horse farm...completely done!

    Its a labor of love that not everyone understands but I am greatful there are people like us that love doing it!

    Thank you for shareing your experience and beautiful home with all of us!

    Hugz, Dolly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Tina and Dolly! We enjoy old houses very much and if you have a blog please post it. Always looking for other bloggers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:33 PM

    Wow. That is a Throne!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to everyone who leaves a comment.